- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups croutons, made from firm-textured bread
- 3 Romaine lettuce hearts
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- -- Juice from one lemon
- 2 large pasteurized egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Combine olive oil and garlic in a small bowl; cover tightly and let stand 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Toss croutons with 3 tablespoons garlic oil to coat. Spread in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake about 10 minutes or just until the edges begin to color. Set aside to cool.
- Carefully separate leaves of the romaine hearts; place in a large salad bowl. Drizzle lettuce with 2 tablespoons garlic oil, salt and pepper; toss well. Add another 2 tablespoons garlic oil, lemon juice, yolks and Worcestershire; toss gently. Sprinkle with cheese and croutons. Serve. Encourage guests to pick up leaves with their fingers.
Recipe adapted by Greg Patent